The main active ingredients of Megamentinc (Augmentin) are:
- Amoxicillin is active in Gram-positive and Gram-negative mechanisms, excluding the beta-lactamase-producing (penicillins and cephalosporins).
- Clavulanic acid – a beta-lactamase inhibitor, which neutralizes the enzyme and broadens the bactericidal action of the first constituent.
The combination of these components increases the therapeutic effect of Augmentin, widening the spectrum of action and preventing the development of bacterial resistance.
An important advantage of antibacterial drugs is produced by a variety of species in various dosages with an indication of the concentration of amoxicillin (the first digital indicator) and clavulanate (second number), for example, Augmentin 875/125, or the total amount of active ingredients (Augmentin 1000).
Indications of Augmentin
- upper respiratory tract infection [(including ear infections, throat and nose), such as recurrent tonsillitis, sinusitis, otitis media, usually caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae *, Moraxellacatarrhalis * and Streptococcus pyogenes]
- lower respiratory tract infections, such as acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis, lobar pneumonia and bronchopneumonia, typically vyzyvaemyeStreptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae * and * catarrhalis of Moraxella
- urinary tract infections (cystitis, urethritis, pyelonephritis)
- gynecological infections, usually caused by strains of the family Enterobacteriaceae * (mainly, of Escherichia coli *), Staphylococcus saprophyticus and strains of the genus of Enterococcus, and gonorrhea caused of Neisseria gonorrhoeae *
- skin and soft tissue infections, usually caused Staphylococcusaureus *, Streptococcus pyogenes and species of the genus Bacteroides *
- bone and joint infections (osteomyelitis, caused Staphylococcusaureus *)
- other mixed infections (septic abortion, sepsis, abdominal infection)